So what kind of coverage does travel insurance provide against hurricanes? Here are our most popular plans from Travelex Insurance Services:
In regards to Hurricane Sandy, travelers who purchased a Travelex policy on or before October 24, 2012, prior to the storm being named, coverage is specifically considered in the following areas:
Trip Cancellation / Interruption Coverage
- Common carrier delays and supplier cancellations due to inclement weather.
- Accommodations at destination or primary residence are rendered uninhabitable due to a natural disaster.
- Delayed arrival due to a covered reason causing 50 percent or more of the covered trip to be missed.
- A mandatory evacuation ordered by public authorities due to the hurricane.
- Called to the emergency service of the government, as a member of the military to assist in the aftermath of the natural disaster.
- Travel supplier cancels the trip due to the above conditions; traveler may be reimbursed for the reissue fee charged by the airline, up to the maximum benefit amount as stated in the description of coverage.
- If purchased, cancel for any reason coverage can provide a portion of the trip cost back to the traveler provided they meet the individual requirements of this benefit.
Trip Delay Coverage
- Delayed while en route to or from final destination for at least five hours or more due to a covered reason, such as a delay of common carrier or due to a natural disaster.
Missed Cruise Connection Coverage
- Delayed for at least three hours or more while en route to the scheduled cruise departure point due to a delay or cancellation of your airline flight as a result of inclement weather.
Emergency Medical Coverage
- For travelers affected by events while traveling in these areas, coverage is provided for expenses incurred as a result of emergency medical treatment and/or emergency medical evacuation, if necessary.
24-Hour Travel Assistance
- Travelers may receive assistance ranging from emergency travel arrangements and money transfers to message relay services. For emergencies or travel assistance, please call On Call International at:
- Toll Free 1-855-892-6495 (US or Canada)
- Collect: 603-328-1373 (all other countries)
Policy Transfer Options
- If the travel supplier is able to re-accommodate the traveler for new travel dates or a new destination please contact the customer service team at 1-800-819-9004 to determine your policy transfer options.