In this week’s Undercover Underwriter, we discuss taking a new fully underwritten life insurance application for your client in addition to assisting them with completing all of the necessary forms.
When taking a new fully underwritten life insurance application for your client in addition to assisting them with completing all of the necessary forms, are you coaching them as an advocate to prepare them for their insurance exam? If not, you should be!
Here are some helpful tips that you can share with your client in advance of their paramedical exams so that they have a clear understanding of what to expect:
If possible, schedule your appointment for early morning
- wear loose fitting clothing, a short sleeved shirt or a long sleeved shirt that can be easily rolled up
- avoid the intake of alcohol for at least 2-3 days prior to the exam
- avoid caffeine intake several hours prior to the exam if possible
- avoid tobacco use for at least one hour before the appointment
- avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours
- take your regularly prescribed medications, and have them readily available for the examiner at the time of the appointment
- it is important to fast (food & beverage) for at least 8 hours prior
- increase water intake 1-2 days prior to assist with obtaining a urine specimen if needed
- avoid foods high in fat & sodium 1-2 days prior to the exam
- advise those that are age 70 & up that they may also be subject to a senior assessment portion of the exam, this may include a delayed word recall test, a timed up and go test to assess mobility, and questions on current lifestyle and activities of daily living that have been established by each specific carrier
Here at SMS our goal is to assist you in becoming an advocate for all of your clients. If you have questions, give us a call at 1.800.786.5566.